Saturday, October 4, 2014

Everyday Choices

Every single day you choose the life you are going to live.

Every single day you choose to move forward or to stay stagnant.


When you choose to wake up early or to hit that off button on the alarm and go back to sleep.

When you choose to work on your dream instead of watching another episode of season 6 on Netflix.

When you choose to create the life you want using the time and resources you have instead of letting life happen to you and whining about it later.

Doing nothing is a choice just as surely as doing something is and each choice has an impact on the life you are building. It isn’t enough to want something more. It isn’t enough to dream about something more. Unless you make a choice to stop passively dreaming, get up off your duff, and start choosing to actively do, you will be no closer to your dream being a reality tomorrow than you are today. As a matter of fact, I believe you will be further away because the longer you sit still the harder it is to move.

Let me ask you a question. Do you know how much time each day you are wasting that could be used to build your dream?

I don’t want you to read this wrong. I know sometimes you just need a break. So don’t think I am implying that you have to work non-stop until you burn out and stop all together. I have traveled that road and it is no fun.

But at the same time do we really need a 2 hour break to check Facebook? Do we really need to read the whole book at once? Do we really need to watch another rerun of Naked and Afraid? According to a Neilson Report done last summer Americans spend an average of 5 hours a day watching TV. Depending on what report you use Social Media eats up between 1 and 3 hours per day.

Now, at least in my house those things tend to happen simultaneously. My 2+ hours of Facebook will happen at the same time in the same room my husband's 5+ hours of TV  happens, with both of us half watching TV and half surfing the web. Think of the time we are wasting. If I spent as much time working on my dream as I do chatting with friends about it online I would be way further along.

I am not about to get all radical here and call a Facebook Fast but I am seriously going to start thinking about how productive my time is that spend on the computer.

As they say Time one of the great equalizers. I have the very same amount of it each day as everyone else. And with each choice I make about how to spend that time I am either wasting a precious resource or creating the life I dream of.

2 comments:

  1. I have limited my FB time to give more time for my hustle, and could and should even more. Russ W. has said, in general FB is terribly depressing,, but the 30 Day people are so uplifting, I hate to not give back.with a small like, or quick encouraging word. The 30 Day people and the few people I actively FB with are SO encouraging. In a micro-mini-hustle I love giving a like or an encouraging word here or there as much as I can. Kim Z posted this morning a Zig Ziglar quote - if you want to achieve your goals, help others achieve their goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had pretty much stopped getting on FB altogether until 30 Days. I need to find a balance of being encouraged, being an encourager, and wasting time.

    ReplyDelete