Sunday, October 5, 2014

His How Keeps My Wow On Track



Like so many of my online friends I have a BHAG (big hairy audacious goal). A giant sized dream I am working towards.  But I don't want to wait for it. I don't want to work for it. I want it now. I have always joked that the movie character I identify with most is Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I say it jokingly but painfully honestly. I have every little patience and I want what I want, when I want it. I work very hard not to be a spoiled rotten brat every single day. 


 I have to say that I am very blessed to have a partner in life who helps me keep my inner Veruca under control. My husband is a "How" guy. I am not a "How" person. I am a "Wow" person all the way details make me crazy. Fortunately for me he is a detail guy. He has his feet planted firmly on the ground. That said, he is also the biggest supporter of my dream. How did I get so lucky, right?


Today we talked about where I am going with this dream. I made it very clear to him that while I want so very badly to quit my job and follow my dream full time that that is not my plan. We talked about the steps I need to take to get there. How to start small and build to great! What tools I need to grow in my skills. How hard it is for me to work on the detail work and improve my techniques when what I want is to create. 

This isn't the first time we have talked about this. But I think as this dream sticks, unlike the 40 before it, he needs the reminder that I am not going to go off the deep end and quit my day job until the time is right. And I need him to remind me of what I am working towards when I get impatient.

So I took the time to share what I am thinking with him so we would be on the same page. I shared with him the fact that my skills aren’t what I need them to be for this to be my day job. He had ideas and suggestions that were so valuable.  We brainstormed and we planned. He reminded me of the end goal and assured me that doing the tedious stuff would pay off in the end.  We talked about how I could move forward with purpose to make sure that I am moving in the right direction.

And today, I know I so blessed to have this man as my partner in this BHAG! Especially when Veruca rears her ugly head. 


No comments:

Post a Comment